Cebuana Lhuillier Pawnshop is the flagship business of PJ Lhuillier, Inc. It began with four pawnshop branches in Metro Manila in the mid-1980s.
Cebuana Lhuillier traces its roots to Cebu, where the late French Consul to the Philippines Henry Lhuillier established his first chain of Agencias in 1935. In 1968, Henry Lhuillier's eldest son Philippe Lhuillier went forth and opened the first Lhuillier pawnshop in Pasay under the trade name Agencia Cebuana.
Throughout the turbulent times in the 70’s and 80’s, Philippe opened more agencias in Metro Manila. The company pursued further nationwide expansion in 1987 and adopted the trade name Cebuana Lhuillier.
In 1998, Philippe was appointed as the Philippines’ ambassador to Italy. Philippe’s eldest son, Jean Henri, took the helm and became Cebuana Lhuillier’s President and CEO in the same year.
Jean Henri steered Cebuana Lhuillier into becoming the leading pawnshop in the country. It is now a one-stop financial services company providing a full range of services from international and domestic remittance, foreign exchange, bills payment to electronic loadand collections services. It also became the first pawnshop and money remittance company to offer a membership rewards program for its loyal clients.
Cebuana Lhuillier has over 1,500 branches nationwide, serving over 100,000 clients daily.